Making My Own Baby Food

I thought I was being so ambitious and so earthy when I decided to make my own baby food. To be perfectly honest, I thought I'd try, make a batch or two and then give up.

It turns out that it's actually quite simple. Yes, there are some crazy people out there with more time and energy than humanly possible who make some outrageous meals for their babies. But really, it's a surprisingly simple process. Don't let Pinterest overwhelm. Your solution is right here:


This book was tremendous! The thing I liked best is realizing that I only needed to work with single ingredients. The author, Lisa Barrangou, gives you all the simple instructions you need to succeed.

My favorite part of the whole book was a list of pairings. Since you are pureeing only single ingredients, Lisa suggests which foods to mix and match. What pairs well with broccoli? You'd be surprised. And I tried these pairings before feeding my baby. They are DELICIOUS!

I didn't follow through with her method entirely, as I didn't prepare 3 months worth in 3 hours. Rather, I prepared and pureed one or two food items each weekend for a few weeks until I had a variety of baby foods in my freezer. I spent no more than 10-20 minutes preapring a food each time...except when I made my own apple puree. Note: don't bother. Just buy unsweetened applesauce.

To expedite the process, I used a pressure cooker to steam any fruits or vegetables that needed to be cooked.

I limited my experience to one food at a time, because I didn't want to wash my blender each time.


Comments